How the Programmatic EIS Is Being Prepared
The Uranium Leasing Program PEIS is being prepared following the regulations for implementing the National Environmental Policy Act
The President's Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) has issued regulations implementing the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. These regulations identify the steps that must be taken in the preparation of an EIS. These steps are:
- A Notice of Intent (NOI) to prepare the PEIS is published in Federal Register. The NOI for the ULP PEIS is also available on the Documents page of this Web site.
- The NOI announces a scoping period during which written and other comments on the content of the PEIS are gathered, including statements made at public meetings.
- A Draft PEIS is prepared, which, at a minimum, includes:
- Purpose and need for action;
- Alternatives, including the proposed action;
- Affected environment; and
- Environmental consequences.
(Note: the Draft ULP PEIS is available on the Documents page of this Web site.)
- A Notice of Availability (NOA) is published in Federal Register announcing the distribution of the Draft PEIS, announcing a public comment period, and describing how the public may comment, including the location and schedule of public meetings on the Draft PEIS.
(Note: Two NOAs were issued for the Draft PEIS. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) NOA and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) NOA were both issued March 15, 2013. Both NOAs are available on the Documents page of this Web site.)
- Final PEIS is prepared that includes descriptions of public comments on the Draft PEIS and discussions on how they were addressed in the Final PEIS.
(Note: the Final ULP PEIS is available on the Documents page of this Web site.)
- An NOA is published in the Federal Register notifying the public that the Final PEIS has been issued.
- A Record of Decision (ROD) is published in the Federal Register no sooner than 30 days after publication of the Final PEIS. The ROD describes the agency's decision regarding the proposed action.
The Final PEIS, the Notice of Availability for the Final PEIS, and the ROD will be available for downloading and browsing on this Web site when they are issued.